1950 - 1959
In the 1950's Stanley Kalms, Charles's son, was quick to recognise the public's new-found interest in photography which had started during the war and was now growing rapidly.
He persuaded his father to sell simple cameras and accessories.
New and second-hand photographic products were heavily advertised in trade, local and national press. This marketing approach quickly laid the foundations for a mail order division which, coupled with 'make your own terms' credit agreements, ensured Dixons entered the 1950s as the number one photographic dealer in Britain.
This market leadership was maintained and developed throughout the 1950s by offering competitively-priced products with quality service.
Dixons expanded so rapidly in 1957 it was forced to find a new head office to accommodate the growing number of employees dealing with 60,000 mail order customers and provide administrative back-up for six stores. Soon the 20,000 sq ft premises in High Street, Edgware became a buying centre too when Stanley Kalms started regular trips to the Far East. He forged vital links with Japanese manufacturers who supplied Dixons directly with products often made to the company's own specification and sold under the brand name of 'Prinz'.
Hard bargaining and bulk buying, predominantly in Japan, gave Dixons the competitive edge over its rivals.