- Currys & PC World gear up for ‘Black Friday’ and ‘Cyber Monday’ with ‘The Big Christmas Event’ – the UK’s biggest trading weekend of the year
- 1.7m electricals ready for home delivery from Currys & PC World’s Newark distribution centre
- One million visits to Currys & PC World websites, per day, expected this weekend
- 40% of shoppers purchasing ‘on-the-go’ through mobile and tablet devices, up 160% year on year
- Up to £50 cashback on all iPads, Android tablet devices and Chromebooks, and at least 20% off selected headphones
Millions of shoppers across the UK will hit the stores this weekend during what is predicted to be the biggest trading period of the year, flanked by ‘Black Friday’ (29th November) and ‘Cyber Monday’ (2nd Monday). Gearing up for the rush, Currys & PC World, the UK’s largest electrical retailers, will launch The Big Christmas Event – a series of price-busting deals and special offers, online and in-store, for customers seeking the latest in tech and gadgetry to fill Christmas stockings this festive period.
Currys & PC World expect that tablets will continue to be hugely popular this Christmas, with figures predicting that there will be enough tablets sold to match the weight of 250,000 Christmas puddings. The iPad Air and the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 are predicted to be the best performing tablets and customers will be able to claim up to £50 cashback on all Android tablets, iPads and Chromebooks from now until 4th December.
Wireless and Bluetooth technologies across home audio devices have become Christmas wish list staples with products like the Sonos PLAY:1 Wireless HiFi and Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Portable Speaker flying off shelves. Predictions on headphones show that 16 pairs of headphones will sell every minute in the lead up to Christmas Day. As part of the Big Christmas Event selected headphones will be discounted by at least 20%, including top-sellers such as Beats Solo HD and other top brands including Sony and Sennheiser.
Small kitchen appliances have also become festive favourites, with Kenwood mixers and KitchenAids topping Christmas lists. Data from Currys & PC World shows that this category is growing rapidly, by more than 80% year on year. With the expected number of juicers and kitchen machines to be sold over the Christmas period, there would be enough to make 288,000 glasses of mulled wine and 1,224,000 festive cupcakes. Selected coffee machines will be half price over the festive period and customers can also save over £100 on all Kenwood mixers – including the Kenwood Patissier mixer - making kitchen tech an affordable wish list favourite.
As more customers are shopping ‘on the go’, Currys & PC World have seen that 40% of site traffic is now from mobile or tablet devices, and from the comfort of their own home rather than venturing out into the busy shops.
Ben Lovett, Currys & PC World spokesperson, commented: “This weekend and The Big Christmas Event kick off a hugely busy and exciting period for us – right up to Christmas Eve. The amazing deals and discounts launching over ‘Black Friday’ and ‘Cyber Monday’ will ensure customers get their Christmas shopping at competitive prices across all of our multi-channel platforms – store, online and mobile. Our warehouse, staff and drivers will all be working together to make sure customer service is fantastic over this busy period. Technology has become a wish-list favourite for 2013, and we’re expecting this to be especially evident over the busy festive season.”
Currys & PC World’s Newark distribution centre is anticipating unprecedented traffic in the coming weeks, predicting the following:
- The Currys and PC World Newark distribution centre spans 1.5million square feet, equivalent to the size of 65 football pitches
- Headphones have proven extremely popular in 2013 and, with the number expected to sell in the lead up to Christmas, there would be enough to decorate Trafalgar Square’s Christmas tree 388 times over
- All tablets predicted to be sold between now and Christmas Day would weigh the same as 250,000 Christmas puddings
- Sixteen pairs of headphones are forecast to be sold every minute during the countdown to Christmas
- If all the Melody 3’s Coffee Machines expected to sell this Christmas were lined up side by side, the total length would double that of the Waterloo and City line
- From mini tablets and compact cameras to range cookers and fridge freezers (essential for family Christmases up and down the country), the warehouse holds in excess of 12,000 products
For further information please contact:
Natali Jaconelli – firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7543 4741
Olivia Gregory - email@example.com / 020 3617 6603
Notes to editors:
Currys PC World are part of Dixons Retail plc. Dixons Retail plc. is Europe's largest specialist electrical retailing and services company. The company’s aim is to bring the latest technology at the best prices to our customers combined with great advice and after sales care. The company operates multi-channel businesses in 12 countries and pure play operations in 14 countries. It has 1,100 stores and nearly 36,000 colleagues.